Sports and Pupil Premium
Background to Pupil Premium Funding
Introduced in April 2011, the Pupil Premium is a Government initiative that provides additional funding aimed at students from deprived backgrounds.
Research shows that pupils from deprived backgrounds underachieve compared to their non-deprived peers. The Pupil Premium is provided in order to support these children in reaching their potential by accelerating their progress.
The Government has used students entitled to Free School Meals and those who are looked after as an indicator for deprivation or social disadvantage. They have given a fixed amount of money to schools per student, based on the number of students registered for Free School Meals and who are looked after by the Local Authority. In the 2019 to 2020 financial year, schools will receive £1,320 for pupils in Reception to Year 6 for each pupil registered as eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any point in the last 6 years
The targeted and strategic use of Pupil Premium funding supports our school in achieving its aim of helping every student to achieve to their full potential.
At Wallands we:
- Ensure that the Pupil Premium funding reaches the students for whom it was intended and that it makes a significant impact on their education and lives.
- Use the Pupil Premium to provide additional educational support to improve the progress and raise the achievement of these students.
- Use the funding to close the gap between the achievement of these students and their peers.
- Ensure that the additional funding is used to address any underlying inequalities between students eligible for the Pupil Premium and others.
- Assure the best possible delivery of learning experiences in the classroom.
- Offer a rich and varied menu of activities designed to engage and motivate students, raising their aspirations and creating a positive view of learning.
Details of our strategy for achieving our aims and principles can be found in our Pupil-premium-strategy.2019-20
You can find further information about the pupil premium in Pupil Premium Frequently Asked Questions.
The PE and Sport Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils. The government allocates money to our school which has to be spent on PE / Sport and Physical activity during the school day or before and after it.
At our school we believe in a holistic approach to the development of sport and physical activity for all and encourage collaboration and partnership working to make the best use of resources and enhance PE and sport provision in order to raise participation and achievement for all pupils.
- Sports premium funding report 2018-19
- Evidencing the impact of sports premium 2019
- Sports premium funding report 2017-18