Our curriculum intent
The Wallands’ curriculum aims to:
- Provide an extensive curriculum with an emphasis on high standards in reading, writing and maths.
- To provide high quality teaching experiences, which excite and motivate children in the classroom and beyond.
- To provide opportunities to learn about the unique setting of the school within an historic town and the South Downs.
- Provide enrichment opportunities where learning and teaching can take place beyond the classroom and at times involve the wider community such as parents and carers
- To prepare children for life in modern Britain.
The school’s curriculum is rooted in the solid consensus of the school’s leaders about the knowledge and skills that pupils need in order to take advantage of opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life. Whilst, the development of high standards in in reading, writing and maths are fundamental to our curriculum, each subject shines in its own right. Our curriculum is designed with knowledge at its heart to ensure that children develop a strong vocabulary base and understanding of the world. We know that a focus on the acquisition of knowledge and the development of vocabulary can powerfully address social disadvantage.
The teaching of RSHE, British Values and SMSC is well embedded across the curriculum through both cross-curricular and discrete lessons, a carefully planned series of whole school and class assemblies, and external visits and visitors.
- To open children’s eyes to the wonders of the incredible world in which we live;
- provides children with the opportunity to succeed not only in statutory curricular subjects, but to participate in and engage positively with a range of artistic, musical, sporting and cultural opportunities. We aim to give all of our pupils, particularly the most disadvantaged, the knowledge, experiences and ‘cultural capital’ necessary to become educated citizens and to succeed in life.
- focuses on an enquiry-led approach, providing learning opportunities for children, which are meaningful and challenging, that will engage and excite them.
Implementation of the curriculum at Wallands
The curriculum is carefully sequenced so that within subjects, recurring themes and concepts can be revisited in order for links to be made and we believe that progress means knowing more and remembering more. We understand that knowledge is 'sticky', the more pupils know the easier it is for them to know more. Long term planning for each subject details precisely the knowledge children will acquire.
Teachers think carefully about how they adapt teaching and activities to ensure all children can access learning.
Class curriculum maps
Coverage by year group of each National Curriculum Subject.
- Curriculum map year 1 2020 21
- Curriculum map year 2 2020 21
- Curriculum map year 3 4 2020 21
- Curriculum map year 5 2020 21
- Curriculum map year 6 2020 21
To find out more about the curriculum at Wallands contact email@example.com